Saturday 22 September 2007

Too much to handle... Can someone please pour me a vodka??

This post could be a lot of rambling so I don't blame you if you give up early!

We have been having trouble with our phone lines in our area as houses are being built around me and I am sure someone has messed up while installing new lines. We keep losing our phone lines and sometimes we are out for days. Usually my broadband is ok so I can still use my computer, but last night it completely went! I don't know if this ever happens to you, but I was having heart palpitations and was feeling extremely stressed out. I couldn't believe it!! What... no computer??? This is my sanctuary, this is my fun! And who the hell did this to my bleeping phone lines? Then I started to get angry hurling abuse all over the house. In this day and age why don't the telephone technicians at the phone company work over the weekend?? Ludicrous, I say. So I am lying in bed last night dreaming on and off about it. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I tend to do that when something is on my mind.

I got up very early this morning to go for a walk with my sister-in-law and thought I would check my computer beforehand - still nothing. I was stressed and it was silly! I kept thinking, what if I sold something on ebay, what if someone emails me important??? So I get through most of the day, with the help of a coffee and a big piece of peppermint slice down the street with my gorgeous friend Ange.

The whole thing gets too much late this afternoon, so I get in the car and head to the printery to use the computers to check up on ebay primarily. While nothing life threatening had happened, I felt much much much better!

And then later tonight, I looked in at my computer with a sad face and I see the envelope meaning I have email!!! Hooray, the stress is over! How this is suddenly working I have no idea as my house phone still isn't, but who bloody cares? I have 46 emails too by the way hahaha. Nothing that needed attention, but it made me feel important nonetheless!!!



On to another note.
Recently, I was looking at Penny's post about RATE MY SPACE and I wanted to commend her on being so brave. If you haven't seen it, you must check it out. If nothing else there is heaps of inspiration.
Anyway, the reason why I am writing about this because Penny is doing so well with her pictures and is receiving fabulous reviews for her home. I have done this and I had thousands of hits on my house pictures, but the stress of it all got too much for me personally!

So what happens is - you put pictures of rooms on there and people rate and comment on your rooms. While 99% of the comments are positive and encouraging, it is the other 1% that got a little bit too stressful. Nobody says anything nasty, and while the criticism is constructive, I started to feel a little bit exposed and inadequate. Like for example, someone would comment on my clock being too high or my lounges needed angling a bit more. In my mind I was becoming defensive saying "it's the bad photo, my clock is not too high, or, the lounge would look too funny in the room angled". So I withdrew the photos. I am usually very tough and know that criticism is important and I am not going to please everyone every time. But I think it's because it is my house, my taste and my own creativity.
So Penny, congrats to you as I know you have been receiving some fabulous comments and you deserve it as your house is lovely!

*****

Sorry this one was so long, but I am feeling like a bit of a chatterbox tonight! Gee won't my husband hate it when I get off here and start chewing his ear off about something? He is trying to watch the footy so maybe I better do the ironing instead....

5 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hi Katrina,
Thanks for visiting my blog...and mentioning me on yours!

I know exactly what you mean about thinking you have tough skin and then being hit by little criticisms. And they are little too! It seems that someone just has to make a negative comment here and there. From what I gather, the people making the comments are not interior designers/experts. Just ordinary folks like you and me....The few I got were, "your candle holders need to be chunkier" and move that vase an inch or two closer to the picture! I mean come on! Move the vase an inch or two?? Now that is nit-picky! LOL.

So, I decided to leave my living room there, but not to add anymore rooms. I really did it to bring more traffic to my website :-).

BTW, love the birdcage stand! I have been looking for one for some time. The are great to hang petite chandeliers in too! Then set them in the corner of a room...
Hugs,
Penny

Alison Gibbs said...

Hi Katrina, Loved your post today.Until the computer goes down you don't realise how much you rely on it. As you say it is your sanctuary and fun - and we sure don't like to lose it. I am going to check out Penny on Rate My Space. Have a great rst of the weekend.
Alison

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I am not the only person that gets irritated when something happens to the computer! We had huge problems with getting Telstra to send us a new modem after having problems with the old one. NOT HAPPY JAN!!

I wouldn't worry about the comments left by others about your room, judging by previous pics that you have shown us on your blog, your house is beautiful & practical.

Catch you soon,
~~~Sarah~~~

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I am not the only person that gets irritated when something happens to the computer! We had huge problems with getting Telstra to send us a new modem after having problems with the old one. NOT HAPPY JAN!!

I wouldn't worry about the comments left by others about your room, judging by previous pics that you have shown us on your blog, your house is beautiful & practical.

Catch you soon,
~~~Sarah~~~

Gail McCormack said...

Hi Katrina, yes I think we all feel the same about our internet if I can't get to the computer I start feeling desperate, it's sort of like the feeling when I was giving up smoking, the good thing is when I went on holidays both times, it only took a day and I didn't miss the computer at all, so I don't feel as if I'm addicted. Second, who cares about the little comments when you put your beautiful house on Rate my Space, maybe they think they're experts and are helping you or maybe they need to get a life! I'm with Penny as soon as I paint the blue wall in our loft bedroom and tiss it up a bit I'll give it a try on Rate my space too, why not?
WHEW that was a long one, sorry!