Saturday 24 November 2007

Election Day



Today, in Australia, will be one of our biggest days in history. Today was election day for the Prime Minister.

Without going into the nitty gritty of it all I will just give the basic run down. I am not showing any bias! I worked on the polling booths this morning and my husband has been glued to the TV as he feels very passionate about the results. In Australia it is compulsory for everyone over the age of 18 to vote. If you don't vote you will be heavily fined.

John Howard (our current serving Prime Minister) has served 3 terms in office spanning over 11 years. He represents the Liberal/National (Coalition) Party.

His opposition is Kevin Rudd who represents the Labor Party.

The campaign between these two main parties have been in full force for the past 6 weeks. As you can see, if the government changes parties this will be huge for Australia as John Howard is our second longest serving Prime Minster in history.

We will know the results tonight, but from what I am seeing on TV we will have a new Prime Minister........

UPDATE: WE HAVE A NEW PRIME MINISTER KEVIN RUDD







5 comments:

Natasha Burns said...

Thanks for the update, we have kids channels on tv so i came to the computer to look it up! Today when i lookedk up into the sky there were sky writers doing 'Kev 4 PM', lol, in case i forgot to vote that would have reminded me! I heard today that it is only a $50 fine, do you know if that is true? i thought it was a lot higher than that... anyway... new PM, let's hope he does well (also not giving any bias either way, lol)

Peta said...

The fine is $50 which I have always been totally against. Voting shouldn't be compulsory.
Katrina, have you heard from the woman who didn't pay you?

Gail McCormack said...

Katrina in my usual fashion I am behind with reading the blogs, I've just read your previous one to this, it's not fair at all you haven't been paid, not only for your items but for the fact you went out of your way to deliver something, never mind about "buyer beware"..., my worst hate is when someone takes advantage of your good nature! I'm with Peta and I'd name the person
The election results...well yes but what does everyone think???

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Very interesting Katrina! I hope all goes well, as we never really know till someone is in office for awhile. Hope you get your monies for the purchases, so disappointing. I'm off to read more of your blog as I have missed a few!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I agree with Ele, you always have to wait for a while to make sure the person in office, really does what he or she said they would!
Penny