Friday 7 March 2008

Aussie Slang




After reading this blog by Sarah it got me thinking this would be fun for me to put all the Aussie terms we use on here. It will really make our overseas friends laugh, roll their eyes and shrug their shoulders - I am sure!!!

We all hear these sayings (and use lots of them ourselves). Anyway, let me know what you think and if you get a laugh out of some of these (and come on Aussie girls, help me out with a few more you can think of)....




“She'll be Apples” ... everything will be all right

Hard Yakka ... hard work

Thunderbox ... toilet

Barbie ... barbeque

“I could Eat a horse” ... to be very hungry

Fair crack of the whip!” ... come on, give me a fair chance

Bludge ... to be lazy

A bush pig ... an ugly woman

Chunder ... to vomit

Rat bag ... obnoxious person

Ring-in ... an imposter

Cobber... old friend or mate

Googie ... egg

Dead horse ... tomato sauce

“Happy as a pig in mud” ... very happy

Dilly-dally ... waste time

Dunny... toilet

Fair dinkum ... really, honestly?

Flat out like a lizard drinking” ... to do something fast (one of my favs!!)

Grog ... alcohol

To come a gutzer / gutza ... to get hurt, have an accident

To be jack of something ... to be fed up with something

Pat Malone ...to do something on your own

Thongs ... rubber sandals, flip flops

T
ucker... food

Ute ... utility, a type of motor vehicle (a pick up truck in USA )

"In a Fortnight" ... fourteen nights away










10 comments:

Natasha Burns said...

LOL hilarious Katrina!
Don't forget SOOK = crybaby

Anonymous said...

I was reading over these, and a few are actually terms that are used in the USA, and or Canada as well. :-) I am an American living in Australia. :-)
"I could eat a horse" is universal, I think.
"Dilly dally" is used in the States, and the term fortnight is used in England and Canada, too.

Most of the rest are uniquely Aussie, and yes, they are hilarious. Haha :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Katrina, 'a bush pig' that's too funny lmao...but you're right we have quite a few in common! I will be back to check on your cute site regularly.

Thanks for the mention and glad you enjoyed the site, please come back. Btw the link isn't working for some reason!

Anonymous said...

That was fun!

Manuela

Gail McCormack said...

Good'ay Katrina, that was a beaut post from a clever shiela, good on ya love!

Peta said...

How about "Fancy a root, darlin'?"

Bek said...

Thanks for popping over to my blog. I have just had a bit of a peep at yours. I just love all the home deco pics you have. I am really interested in decorating.

I will be back for a better look.

Linda said...

On ya Katrina that was hilarious, I also love the different names countries call things like thong in OZ is different in USA and in NZ they call them Gandles. BBQ is a grill in USA, Esky is a chilly bin in NZ etc Great post. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.
Cheers Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi Katrina,
Loved this post, when we travelled to the UK, our relatives over there has no idea about some of the things that we say. Eg; slippery dip = slide in the UK. Hope you are having a great weekend, catch you soon.
Sarah xx

Kingswood Food and Craft Market said...

Oh lordy me how funny.
I tend to say 'Hit The Frog and Toad' (hit the road) and mum has a fav saying thats really so gross "Im so hungry i could eat the crutch out of a low flying duck"
isnt that yuk!

What about Strike me Pink! LOL
i could go on and on and on.....

Mind you i have NEVER in my life said G'day to someone.I rekn it sounds kinda dumb.

p.s LOVE Petas one..trust her!! LOL


Shann :)